Doing some yard work and need help getting rid of tree branches? Live in North Tahoe, Meeks Bay or Alpine Meadows? North Tahoe and Meeks Bay Fire Protection Districts are offering a free residential curbside chipping at your property. Time is running out for this free service in 2021. Fill out the form below or CLICK HERE.
Some important things to remember when getting ready for this service:
- All Piles need to be placed at the edge of the street with the cut end of the vegetation facing towards the street
- Vegetation cannot exceed 6 inches in diameter
- Pile should not exceed 6 feet in height, 6 feet in width, and 30 feet in length. Make piles longer, not higher
- No pine needles, pine cones, bark, stumps, nails, lumber, residential waste, or dirt
- Chips will be left onsite to be spread around the property for landscaping or erosion control.
- Chips cannot be located within 5 feet of any structure or combustible attachment
- Spread the chips to a maximum depth of 3” to create mulch areas
- Use noncombustible areas(dirt/rock/irrigated lawns) to break up large areas of continuous chips
- The Chipping Crew is also a Fire Crew and can be deployed by District Fire Chiefs to fires in the area, or sent on assignments to out of area fires. This may delay the rotation.
This is a free residential curbside chipping program to support property owners as they create defensible space and reduce vegetation that would be fuel in a wildfire. This program is not meant to be used by tree service and defensible space contractors. Large piles left by contractors will not be chipped.
Photo by Meritt Thomas